Project JumpStart Case Manager
The Job Opportunities Task Force (JOTF) has a mission to develop and advocate policies and programs to increase the skills, job opportunities and incomes of low-skill, low-wage workers and job seekers in Maryland. Since 2006, JOTF has managed Project JumpStart in partnership with Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) – the largest construction trade association in Maryland. Project JumpStart is a 14-week pre-apprenticeship construction training program that enhances participants’ skills and places them in the construction field with the ultimate goal of obtaining an apprenticeship as an electrician, carpenter, or plumber.
The Case Manager is responsible for working directly with JumpStart participants and graduates to help them mitigate employment barriers, provide support services, and manage and expand our mentoring initiative. This position’s case management focus will be for one of our Baltimore City training locations.
Major Responsibilities include but may not be limited to the following
Case Management (75%)
- Provide one-on-one case management for approximately 70 residents enrolled in one of our Baltimore training programs, annually
- Build and maintain referral pipelines with agencies that mitigate barriers for program participants and alumni
- Assist with retention and follow-up case management services for program alumni in coordination with all case management staff
- Attend each Baltimore class running either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday evenings until approximately 8PM
- Manage outcomes and case notes through our database system while maintaining participant files according to grant requirements and organization standards
- Collaborate within the Project JumpStart team and partners to provide program updates, determine necessary program modifications, and provide relevant data and client stories for grant reports as needed
- Assist with program planning and oversight through timely data reporting, participation in meetings with program staff and partners
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and best practices
- Attend and participate in required internal and external educational programs and pursue external training opportunities
- Work with community based organizations, government agencies, and other groups to maintain a pipeline of applicants
- Participate in community organizing opportunities to inform Baltimore communities about Project JumpStart
- Coordinate with case management staff and program manager to attend recruitment events
- Hold regular weekly application sessions
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, but not required, with at least three years of case management experience preferred. Successful candidates will have work experience providing case management and/or job-training services to under-served populations or an educational background in social work, human service or related field but no license is required for the position. Mental health and/or trauma informed training a plus.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work autonomously and must possess an entrepreneurial drive, but also be flexible enough to work within a team
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse organizations and people including clients, stakeholders, employers, peers and instructors
- A keen perception of the racial and socioeconomic dynamics of under-served communities
- Familiarity with issues facing low-income Maryland residents, especially employment-related challenges of low-skill men and women and the workforce needs of employers
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and public speaking
- Must be organized, detail oriented and have the ability to work in both a team setting and individually
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Experience with program management, community outreach, or marketing preferred
- Must have reliable transportation and willing to commute between Baltimore City program sites
- Should have a flexible schedule as program classes run in the evenings
- Baltimore City or Baltimore County resident preferred
This is a full-time position. Work will be based out of our downtown Baltimore office during regular business hours, with off-site meetings around the state and regular visits to program locations in Baltimore City. Occasional weekend events may be required. The ideal candidate will be able to provide his/her own transportation for travel. Downtown parking and reimbursement for business travel are included. The Case Manager will report to JOTF’s Project JumpStart Program Manager. The person in this position will also work closely with other program staff including case managers, instructors and our job placement director.
Salary range is $40,000 – $50,000, commensurate with education and experience. JOTF offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, matched 403(b) and paid leave.
JOTF strongly values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace.
JOTF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, religious or political affiliation or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law. Baltimore City residents and individuals with criminal justice involvement are strongly encouraged to apply.
For best consideration, send a cover letter and resume by October 17, 2018 to email@example.com (with “Case Manager” in subject line)