PUBLIC POLICY ADVOCATE
Are you an effective and nuanced communicator with the ability to connect with a wide range of constituents? Are you a self-motivated learner who thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic environment? Looking to apply your critical thinking and analytical skills to advocate for policies and programs to increase job opportunities for Maryland workers? We have an opportunity for you!
Since 1996, the Job Opportunities Task Force (JOTF) has worked to help low-wage workers gain access to high-paying jobs. JOTF’s mission is to develop and advocate policies and programs to increase the skills, job opportunities and incomes of low-skill, low-wage workers and job seekers in Maryland. Each day, JOTF works relentlessly to eliminate obstacles to meaningful, stable employment through investments in adult education and skills training, effective policy reform advocacy, and cutting-edge research. JOTF is seeking their next Public Policy Advocate to support the 2022 Maryland Legislative Session.
ABOUT THE PUBLIC POLICY ADVOCATE ROLE
This is an exciting opportunity to participate in the Maryland legislative process from beginning to end! The incumbent will be responsible for developing, researching and communicating the values tied to JOTF’s mission to community and legislative stakeholders.
The Policy Advocate is a member of the JOTF policy team that is responsible for developing and advancing JOTF’s policy agenda at the state and local levels. The policy agenda includes organizational priorities that urge investments in adult education and skills training, advocate for workplace benefits and supports, reduce the impact of incarceration on low-wage workers, access to affordable transportation options, and eliminate policies that criminalize the poor. The ideal candidate will be a self-driven, team player with a keen ability to think and act boldly and strategically for the benefit of the organization and its constituencies.
Reports to: Director of Public Policy
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND ADVOCACY
- Partner with advocacy organizations such as workforce development and training organizations.
- Establish and lead relationships with community organizers to build alliances to advance organizational policy priorities around Baltimore City and County, Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties, and counties within the Eastern Shore.
- Engage with legal professionals to serve as ambassadors for the organization.
RESEARCH & ANALYSIS
- Conduct research, compile and organize data, and use new and existing data to report information in a meaningful and useful format for key stakeholders.
- Provide ongoing support to track project status, timelines, deliverables, and project requirements.
- Prepare for meetings, conference calls, webinars; and support and coordinate internal and external partners.
- Coordinate with the Director of Public Policy on research needs that facilitate the success of organizational policy priorities.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of local and state-wide news and current events pertaining to organizational priorities.
- Skillfully communicate and present organizational priorities when representing JOTF in key coalitions, state commissions, task forces and workgroups.
- Maintain an effective media advocacy strategy that includes, but is not limited to, regular policy memos and updates during the legislative session for diverse audiences, and active social media engagement.
- Retain up to date knowledge of issues within JOTF’s portfolio and related policy trends.
QUALIFICATIONS & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Two plus (2+) years of public policy training or an educational background in human services, law, public policy, social work, or related fields.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including writing and public speaking, to effectively communicate with diverse populations.
- Exceptional organizational skills and detail-oriented with the ability to work in both a team setting and autonomously.
- A self-starter with an entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse population including community partners, policymakers, and employers.
- Flexible and creative with an attention to detail.
- Familiarity with the educational and employment policy barriers facing low-income, low-skill workers and the workforce needs of employers.
- General understanding of policy-making processes in the legislative and executive branches of Maryland government.
- Technical familiarity with Microsoft Office and Mailchimp is preferred.
- Must have reliable personal vehicle/transportation to commute to Annapolis and community events around the state.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Full-time Temporary Contract position: January 3, 2022 – May 13, 2022
- Salary: $4,600 monthly
- There is the potential opportunity for this position to transition into a permanent full-time role pending performance review.
- Location: Remote-hybrid work environment
JOTF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, religious or political affiliation or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law. We strongly encourage all to apply.