Each day, JOTF works relentlessly to eliminate obstacles to meaningful, stable employment through investments in adult education and skills training, effective public policy reform, and cutting-edge research. By doing so, we’re able to consistently help low-wage workers advance to high-paying jobs and create paths for workers from every possible background to thrive and prosper.
Project JumpStart is an 87-hour pre-apprenticeship construction training program for Baltimore City residents managed by JOTF and Associated Builders and Contractors. Training includes construction math, tool training, safety skills and certifications, and entry-level skills in electrical, plumbing and carpentry.
- Since 2006, over 1,000 Baltimore residents with significant employment challenges enrolled
- 80% of graduates were placed in industry employment with an $13/hr average starting wage
Public Policy & Advocacy
Our policy team focuses on advancing public policy initiatives that improve the economic opportunities and well-being of Maryland’s low-income workers. JOTF’s public policy priorities focus on:
- Adult education, post-secondary access and affordability
- Wages, benefits, and supports
- Skills training
- Decriminalizing Poverty
- Access to affordable transportation options
- Reducing the impact of incarceration on workers
Research & Public Education
The combination of JOTF’s advocacy and programmatic work is supported and influenced by our cutting-edge research and public education efforts. JOTF’s recent publications, which can be found on our website include:
- The Double Pandemic: Socioeconomic and Racial Inequality in the COVID-19 Era – Examines the disparate impact in areas such as health, the workplace, unemployment, housing, and the digital divide, and offers recommendations for change.
- Criminalization of Poverty– Examines Maryland laws, policies, and practices that penalize individuals who are living in poverty
- Priced Out– Explores financial barriers to post-secondary education
- Overpriced and Underserved– Highlights the costs of being poor
JOTF is powered by passionate, purpose-driven people who know a better future can only come through better opportunities.